Marketing Models and Modeling
Week 1 求 Overview
1. Lilien, Gary L., Philip Kotler, and K. Sridhar Moorthy. Marketing models (LKM) 每 Chapter 1.
2. Leeflang, P. S. H. and D. R. Wittink (2000), ※Building Models for Marketing Decisions: Past, Present, Future,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 17 (2-3), 105-126.
3. Leeflang, P. S. H. and D. R. Wittink (2000), ※Models for marketing decisions: Postscriptum,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 17 (2-3), 237-253.
4. Yadav, Manjit S. (2010), ※The decline of Conceptual Articles and Implications for Knowledge Development,§ Journal of Marketing, 74, No. 1, 1-19
5. Lilien, Gary L. (2011) ※Bridging the Academic每Practitioner Divide in Marketing Decision Models,§ Journal of Marketing: Vol. 75, No. 4, pp. 196-210.
6. Kohli, A. K. (Ed.). (2011). From the editor: reflections on the review process. Journal of Marketing, 75(6), 1-4.
Overview of Analytical Models and Introduction to Game Theory
1. Moorthy, K. Sridhar (1993), ※Theoretical Modeling in Marketing,§ Journal of Marketing, Vol. 57 (April), 92-106.
2. Shugan, Steven M. (2002), ※Editorial: Marketing Science, Models, Monopoly Models, and Why We Need Them,§ Marketing Science, Vol. 21 (3, Summer), 223-228.
3. Tsang, E. W. (2009). Commentary〞Assumptions, Explanation, and Prediction in Marketing Science:※It's the Findings, Stupid, Not the Assumptions§. Marketing Science, 28(5), 986-990.
4. Coughlan, Anne T. et al. (2010), ※Marketing Modeling Reality and the Realities of Marketing Modeling,§ Marketing Letters, Vol. 21 (3, September), 317-333.
5. Gibbons, Robert (1997), ※An Introduction to Applicable Game Theory,§ Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 11 (1, Winter), 127-149.
6. Moorthy, K. Sridhar (1985), ※Using Game Theory to Model Competition,§ Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 22 (August), 262-282.
7. Bradlow, E. T., & Coughlan, A. T. (2009). Analytical transparency. Marketing Science, 28(3), 403-404.
8. ※Notes for a Course in Game Theory§ by Maxwell B. Stinchcombe
Analytical models - Pricing and Competition
1. Tirole, Jean. The theory of industrial organization. - Chapter 3,5
2. Daughety, Andrew F., and Jennifer F. Reinganum. "Imperfect competition and quality signalling." The RAND Journal of Economics 39.1 (2008): 163-183. (Focus on utility function and pricing model)
3. Moorthy, K. Sridhar. "Using game theory to model competition." Journal of Marketing Research (1985): 262-282.
4. Xie, Jinhong, and Steven M. Shugan. "Electronic tickets, smart cards, and online prepayments: When and how to advance sell." Marketing Science 20.3 (2001): 219-243.
5. Geng, Xianjun, Ruhai Wu, and Andrew B. Whinston. "Profiting from partial allowance of ticket resale." Journal of Marketing 71.2 (2007): 184-195.
6. McAfee, R. Preston, John McMillan, and Michael D. Whinston. "Multiproduct monopoly, commodity bundling, and correlation of values." The Quarterly Journal of Economics (1989): 371-383.
7. Deneckere, Raymond J., and R. Preston McAfee. "Damaged goods." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 5.2 (1996): 149-174.
8. Daughety, Andrew F., and Jennifer F. Reinganum. "Imperfect competition and quality signalling." The RAND Journal of Economics 39.1 (2008): 163-183.
Analytical Models - Marketing channels
1. LKM Chapter 9, pages 407-431.
2. McGuire, T. and R. Staelin (1983), ※An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration,§ Marketing Science, 2 (Spring), 161.
3. Coughlan, A. T. (1985), ※Competition and cooperation in marketing channel choice: Theory and application,§ Marketing Science, 4(2), 110-129.
4. Choi, S. C. (1991), ※Price competition in a channel structure with a common retailer,§ Marketing Science, 10(4), 271-296.
5. Yoo, W. S. and E. Lee (2011), ※Internet Channel Entry: A Strategic Analysis of Mixed Channel Structures,§ Marketing Science, 30:29-41.
6. Tyagi, R.K. (2005), ※Do Strategic Conclusions Depend on How Price Is Defined in Models of Distribution Channels?§ Journal of Marketing Research, XLII (May), 228-232.
7. Cai, Gangshu George. "Channel selection and coordination in dual-channel supply chains." Journal of Retailing 86.1 (2010): 22-36.
Analytical Models - Innovation and Strategic Market Entry
1. LKM Chapter 10, pages 464-500.
2. Tirole, Jean. The theory of industrial organization, Chapter 8.
3. Hauser, John, Gerard J. Tellis, and Abbie Griffin. "Research on innovation: A review and agenda for marketing science." Marketing science 25.6 (2006): 687-717.
4. Sankaranarayanan, Ramesh. "Innovation and the durable goods monopolist: The optimality of frequent new-version releases." Marketing Science 26.6 (2007): 774-791.
5. Nöldeke, Georg, and Klaus M. Schmidt. "Option contracts and renegotiation: a solution to the hold-up problem." The RAND Journal of Economics (1995): 163-179.
Analytical Models - Information Asymmetry and Salesforce Management
1. Holmstrom, Bengt (1979), ※Moral Hazard and Observability,§ Bell Journal of Economics, 10, (Spring), 74-91.
2. LKM Chapter 8.
3. Basu, Amiya, Rajiv Lal,V Srinivasan and Richard Staelin (1985), ※Sales Force Compensation Plans An Agency Theoretic Perspective§ Marketing Science, Vol. 4, no. 4 (Autumn 1985), p. 267-291.
4. Lewis, Tracy R., and David EM Sappington. "Penalizing Success in Dynamic Incentive Contracts: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished?." The RAND Journal of Economics (1997): 346-358.
5. Rob, Rafael, and Peter Zemsky. "Social capital, corporate culture, and incentive intensity." RAND Journal of Economics (2002): 243-257.
6. Markus, Christian, Ganesh Iyer, David Soberman (2006), ※Job Satisfaction, Job Performance, and Effort: A Reexamination Using Agency Theory.§ Journal of Marketing, Vol. 70 (January), 137-150.
7. Lim, Noah, Michael J. Ahearne and Sung H. Ham (2009), ※Designing Sales Contests: Does the Prize Structure Matter?§ Journal of Marketing Research, (June), 356-371.
8. Jackson, Kirabo and Henry S. Schneider (2011), ※Do Social Connections Reduce Moral Hazard? Evidence from the New York City Taxi Industry§ American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 3 (July 2011), 244-67.
Empirical Models 每 Conjoint analysis and multiple choice model
1. Iacobucci, Dawn. Marketing Models: Multivariate Statistics and Marketing Analytics - Chapter 7
2. Murry Jr, John P., and Jan B. Heide (1998), ※Managing promotion program participation within manufacturer-retailer relationships.§ The Journal of Marketing: 58-68. [APPLICATION PAPER 每 FOCUS ON THE METHOD SECTION]
3. Wuyts, Stefan, Stefan Stremersch, Christophe Van den Bulte, and Philip Hans Franses (2004), ※Vertical marketing systems for complex products: A triadic perspective.§ Journal of Marketing Research (2004): 479-487. [APPLICATION PAPER 每 FOCUS ON THE METHOD SECTION]
4. Green, Paul E. and V. Srinivasan (1990), ※Conjoint Analysis in Marketing: New Developments with Implications for Research and Practice,§ Journal of Marketing, Vol. 54, No. 4, 3-19.
Logit and Probit and Selections Bias Models
1. Iacobucci, Dawn. Marketing Models: Multivariate Statistics and Marketing Analytics - Chapter 3
2. Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. Introductory Econometrics - Chapter 17
3. Guadagni, Peter M. and John D.C. Little (1983), ※A Logit Model for Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data,§ Marketing Science, V. 2, No. 3 (Summer), 203-238.
4. Palia, Darius, S. Abraham Ravid and Natalia Reisel (2008), ※Choosing to Cofinance: Analysis of Project-Specific Alliances in the Movie Industry,§ Review of Financial Studies.
5. Gruca, Thomas and D. Sudharshan, (1991), ※Equilibrium Characteristics of multinomial logit market share models,§ Journal of Marketing Research, 18 (November), 480-482.
6. ※Multinomial Logit Market Share Models: Equlibrium Characteristics and Strategic Implications,§ Suman Basuroy and Dung Nguyen, Management Science, October 1998, Vol. 44, No. 10. 1396 - 1408.
Empirical Models: Structural Equation Modeling in Marketing Channels and Strategy
1. Iacobucci, Dawn. Marketing Models: Multivariate Statistics and Marketing Analytics - Chapter 5
2. Bagozzi, R. P. (1984), ※A prospectus for theory construction in marketing,§ The Journal of Marketing, 11-29.
3. Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E. M. and Hans Baumgartner (2000), ※On the Use of Structural Equation Models for Marketing Modeling,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 17 195-202.
4. Baumgartner, Hans, and Christian Homburg (1996), ※Applications of structural equation modeling in marketing and consumer research: a review,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing 13, no. 2: 139-161.
5. Chin, Wynne W., Robert A. Peterson, and Steven P. Brown. "Structural equation modeling in marketing: some practical reminders,§ The Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice 16, no. 4 (2008): 287-298.
6. Hibbard, J. D., Kumar, N., & Stern, L. W. (2001). Examining the impact of destructive acts in marketing channel relationships. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(1), 45-61. [APPLICATION PAPER每 FOCUS ON THE METHOD SECTION].
7. Palmatier, R. W., Scheer, L. K., & Steenkamp, J. B. E. (2007). Customer loyalty to whom? Managing the benefits and risks of salesperson-owned loyalty. Journal of Marketing Research, 44(2), 185-199. [APPLICATION PAPER每 FOCUS ON THE METHOD SECTION].
8. Germann, Frank, Gary L. Lilien, and Arvind Rangaswamy (2012), ※Performance implications of deploying marketing analytics,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 30, 114每128. [APPLICATION PAPER 每 FOCUS ON THE METHOD SECTION].
Empirical Models 每 Multilevel and Panel Data Models in Marketing Channels and Strategy
1. Luke, Douglas A., (2004), Multilevel modeling. Vol. 143. Sage. [BACKGROUND READING]
2. Hofmann, David A. (1997), ※An Overview of the Logic and Rationale of Hierarchical Linear Models,§ Journal of Management, 23: 723-744.
3. Wuyts, Stefan, Stefan Stremersch, Christophe Van den Bulte, and Philip Hans Franses (2004), ※Vertical marketing systems for complex products: A triadic perspective.§ Journal of Marketing Research (2004): 479-487. [APPLICATION PAPER].
4. Samaha, Stephen A., Robert W. Palmatier, & Rajiv P. Dant (2011), ※Poisoning Relationships: Perceived Unfairness in Channels of Distribution,§ Journal of Marketing Vol. 75 (May), 99每117. [APPLICATION PAPER].
5. Raudenbush, Stephen W. (2002) Hierarchical linear models: Applications and data analysis methods. Vol. 1. SAGE.
6. Kreft, Ita G. G. (1998), Introducing multilevel modeling. SAGE.
Empirical Models 每 Instrument variables regression
1. Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. (2003), Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach, 2nd edition. Thomson-Southwestern. - Chapter 15, 484-514.
2. Stock, James H. and Mark W. Watson (2007), Introduction to Econometrics, 2nd Edition, by Pearson-Addison Wesley. - Chapter 12
3. A. Colin Cameron and Pravin K. Trivedi, Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revosed Edition, 2010, by Stata Corp, LP-Texas, - Chapter 5, 6
4. Oberholzer-Gee, Felix and Koleman Strumpf (2007), ※The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis,§ Journal of Political Economy, No. 1, Vol. 115, (February), 1-42.
5. Steven D. Levitt (1996), ※The Effect of Prison Population Size on Crime Rates: Evidence from Prison Overcrowding Litigation,§ The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 111, No. 2 (May), 319-351.
6. ----- (1997), ※Using Electoral Cycles in Police Hiring to Estimate the Effect of Police on Crime,§ The American Economic Review, Vol. 87, No. 3 (June), 270-290.
7. Elberse, Anita (2010), ※Bye Bye Bundles: The Unbundling of Music in Digital Channels,§ Journal of Marketing 74, no. 3 (May 2010).
8. Elberse, Anita, and Jehoshua Eliashberg. ※Demand and Supply Dynamics for Sequentially Released Products in International Markets: The Case of Motion Pictures.§ Marketing Science 22, no. 3 (summer 2003): 329-354.
9. Liu, Yong (2006), ※Word-of-Mouth for Movies: Its Dynamics and Impact on Box Office Revenue,§ Journal of Marketing, 70 (3), 74-89.
10. Chevalier, Judith A. and Dina Mayzlin (2006), ※The Effect of Word-of-Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews,§ Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. XLIII, (August), 345-354.
Empirical Models 每 Marketing and Financial Performance
1. Srivastava, Rajendra, Tasadduq A. Shervani, and Liam Fahey (1998), ※Market-Based Assets and Shareholder Value: A Framework for Analysis,§ Journal of Marketing, 62 (January), 1每18.
2. Hanssens, Dominique M., Roland T. Rust, & Rajendra K. Srivastava (2009), ※Marketing Strategy and Wall Street: Nailing Down Marketing＊s Impact,§ Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73 (November), 115每118.
3. Morgan, Neil A. and Lopo L. Rego (2009), ※Brand Portfolio Strategy and Firm Performance,§ Journal of Marketing (73), pp. 59-74.
4. Srinivasan, Shuba and Dominique M. Hanssens (2009), ※Marketing and Firm Value,§ Journal of Marketing Research, 46 (June), 293每312.
5. Commentaries and Rejoinder to ※Marketing and Firm Value: Metrics, Methods, Findings, and Future Directions§ (2009), Journal of Marketing Research, 46 (June), 313-329.
6. Luo, Xueming, Christian Homburg, and Jan Wieseke. "Customer satisfaction, analyst stock recommendations, and firm value." Journal of Marketing Research 47.6 (2010): 1041-1058.
Empirical Models 每 Innovation Diffusion and Social Network Models; Additional Empirical Methods.
1. Iacobucci, Dawn. Marketing Models: Multivariate Statistics and Marketing Analytics - Chapter 9,10
2. KLM, Chapter 10 (pages 457-480), KLM
3. Bass, Frank M (2004), ※Comments on ※A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables The Bass Model§.§ Management Science 50, no. 12, 1833-1840.
4. Peres, Renana, Eitan Muller, and Vijay Mahajan (2010), ※Innovation diffusion and new product growth models: A critical review and research directions,§ International Journal of Research in Marketing, 27 (2010) 91每106.
5. Iacobucci, D., & Hopkins, N. (1992). Modeling dyadic interactions and networks in marketing. Journal of Marketing Research, 5-17.
6. Chandrasekaran, Deepa and Gerard J. Tellis (2011), ※Getting a Grip on the Saddle: Chasms or Cycles?§ Journal of Marketing, Vol. 75, 21每34. [APPLICATION PAPER].
7. Wuyts, Stefan, Stefan Stremersch, Christophe Van den Bulte, and Philip Hans Franses (2004), ※Vertical marketing systems for complex products: A triadic perspective.§ Journal of Marketing Research (2004): 479-487. [APPLICATION PAPER].